Calf pain in the Night / Leg Cramp
Have you ever been jolted awake in the middle of the night , because of severe pain in the calf , which then spread to the soles of the feet ?
Upon waking , the pain was part palpate . Definitely hard and tense. That is called a leg cramp.
Leg cramps are contractions of the leg muscles – especially the legs that occurs suddenly and out of our consciousness .
Cramps can affect anyone , regardless of age limit . But usually , these cramps experienced by those who are middle aged or advanced .
Causes calf pain
Until now it is not certain cause leg cramps. Clearly , there are many factors that were related to leg muscle cramps.
Several studies have found that problems associated with leg cramps leg muscle control by the brain when we are asleep in bed. That’s why most people who have experienced leg cramps , experienced when they were dreaming. However, most scientists believe this is not a disorder in the brain.
Leg cramps at night is likely to occur due to excessive leg muscles work due to strenuous activity earlier. Another factor that is triggered structural abnormalities of the foot ( flat feet , for example), which makes the cramps are more common.
If during sleep, feet above the beds were hard , the greater the likelihood of cramps. Because the hard base that cause local pressure effects on the feet. Legs were finally suppressed in hypoxic conditions, as lack of oxygen supply occurs because blood flow is not smooth.
As already in the know , is one of the functions of blood to bind oxygen is distributed throughout the body . Therefore , cramping legs around the calf – also occurs because of sitting too long, or because the wrong foot position when a long silence .
In addition , the cold also known trigger leg cramps at night . The reason, the cold makes the blood vessels constrict (vasoconstriction). Thus, impaired blood flow in the legs.
Other medical condition may also trigger leg cramp at night , for example , diabetes (diabetes mellitus), parkinsonism , hypoglycemia ( blood sugar levels are too low ) , anaemia, thyroid gland disorders ( thyroid ), and endocrine disorders.
Disease and hormonal disorders that can basically make up the state of hypoxia. Advanced stages of diabetes, for example , cause damage to the blood vessels and make blood flow smoothly . Another example , create a number okdigen anemia tied in the blood decreases. Because, blood hemoglobin binding charge is also reduced.
Low levels of some minerals such as magnesium, potassium, calcium, and sodium also has long been associated with the problem of leg cramps at night. The marathon runner who has run into the tens of miles, for example, are often dehydrated and mineral deficiencies as just such. As a result, they are prone to leg cramps while sleeping .
Treatments leg cramp
When compared with the wrong foot position during sleep, which is more of a role trigger leg cramps at night is a disease, a certain deficiency, or hormonal abnormalities.
Therefore, if you frequently experience , immediately consult your doctor.
However , there can be pain relieved by first handling fairly easy to do yourself . Among other things :
- Try to walk with leg cramps using it . Spread apart the calf by hand to touch your toes and pull it towards the knee .
- Try to keep at the time of the movement , keep your legs straight .
- Sort calf from top to bottom (from the back of the knee to the ankle). Perform this sort of movement repetitive, but only unidirectional. Do not rush, do it slowly though the pain is really severe. Long, leg cramps would subside .
- Take a hot shower , or bath with warm water. Try to keep muscle cramps doused or submerged in the water.
- For severe leg cramps medicine containing diphenhydramine hydrochloride and simple as a muscle relaxant meprobamate and verapamil hydrochloride can be very helpful.
Prevention calf pain in the night / Calf Cramp
To prevent leg cramps at night , you can consider the consumption of supplements regularly and in moderation , especially those containing calcium , magnesium , potassium , and sodium .
In addition , there are also other things that, when considered will greatly help prevent leg cramps. It includes:
- Magnesium intake is sufficient . Magnesium is a mineral that is essential for our body. Related to muscle relaxation. Therefore, the consumption of sufficient magnesium is also useful to overcome the muscle cramps. Some people who take magnesium it can be directly recovered from muscle cramps . However , muscle cramps that have lasted a long time , when overcome by this supplement , usually also be recovered in a long time. Food sources that contain magnesium are green vegetables , as well as soybeans, avocados and nuts. The need for magnesium varies between 300 to 350 mg , and increased to 450 mg during pregnancy and lactation.
- Attract a deep breath . Some reports say , muscle cramps at night related to sleep disorders , where the breath stops momentarily . As a result , the body is deprived of oxygen . If this is the case , a few deep breaths can relieve leg cramps.
- But remember , sodium supplements may be consumed only when the body’s sodium levels are really low , or after sweating out a lot .
- In addition , leg cramps at night can be prevented by taking 400-800 IU of vitamin E every day . It deals with the role of vitamin E in triggering neural muscular legs , which when disrupted can lead to tension in the leg muscles .
- The next step , stretch their legs and feet regularly in the afternoon and evening . You can prevent leg cramps at night to create a ‘ tired ‘ stretch reflex before going to bed.