Spine Surgery Singapore – Fenestration and Discectomy
Spine Surgery Singapore – Fenestration and Discectomy. Discectomy is surgery to remove herniated disc material that is pressing on a nerve root or the spinal cord. A herniated disc can irritate or compress nearby nerves and cause pain, numbness or weakness – which may radiate down your arms or legs. Discectomy works best on these radiating symptoms.
How is Spine Surgery Singapore performed?
Spine surgery Singapore, discectomy is performed to relieve the pressure a herniated disk (also called slipped, ruptured or bulging disk or disk prolapse) places on a spinal nerve. A herniated disk occurs when some of the softer material inside the disk pushes out through a crack in the tougher exterior.
This type of surgery will be normally done in hospital under General Anesthesia.
The procedure takes about an hour, depending on the extent of the disc herniation, the size of the patient, and other factors.
A discectomy is done with the patient lying face down, and the back pointing upwards.
During discectomy, the surgeon removes the part of the disc that is herniated and is pushing into the spinal canal. Any loose fragments of disc are also removed.
What to expect after surgery of Fenestration and Discectomy
- Patient may be discharged on the same day or the very next day after surgery.
- Patient may require to come back to clinic 3 days after the surgery in order to assess patient’s condition
- Patient may need to take some prescription medicines to control pain during recovery period
- A lumbar corset brace may help with some symptoms of pain, but is not necessary in all cases.
- Patient are encouraged to do some gentle activities after surgery such as sitting upright and walking.
- Patient must avoid lifting heavy objects and should try not to bend or twist the back excessively.
- Patient should avoid strenuous activity or exercise until cleared by Dr Kevin Yip.
- Our back pain specialist Singapore may suggest a rehabilitation program. This may include physical therapy and home exercises.
Is Spine surgery Singapore safe?
As per our spine surgeon Singapore, Fenestration and Discectomy is generally a SAFE procedure. But as with any surgery, discectomy carries a risk of complications like an infection.
Why do you need spine surgery Singapore?
- Surgery is done to decrease pain and allow you to regain normal movement and function.
- 80-85% of patients experience a significant improvement in leg pain.
- 10-15% may be better but still have persistent leg pain
When do you need to consider Fenestration and Discectomy?
You and our spine specialist Singapore may consider surgery if:
- You have very bad leg pain, numbness, or weakness that keeps you from being able to do your daily activities.
- Your leg symptoms do not get better after at least 4 weeks of nonsurgical treatment.
- Results of a physical exam show that you have weakness, loss of motion, or abnormal feeling that is likely to get better after surgery.
For more information, please call (65) 64762106 our 24HR Hotline