Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Treatment
Carpal Tunnel syndrome treatment is important to start early as delaying the treatment will cause muscle damage to the hand and wrist. People with pain in the wrist is often overlooked and allowed the wrist pain to keep going. The most common pain between hand and wrist is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
Pain in the wrist may arise due to pressure on the nerves . In this case known as the median nerve . The median nerve in the channel are known as carpal canal . This channel is approximately equal magnitude with fingers . Inside are a variety of components including the median nerve and tendons ( muscle tip ) that move the fingers . If there is pressure on this line will result in numbness, pain and eventually became a neurological disorder resulting in muscle weakness . Fortunately , with proper treatment , problems and complaints can be overcome with good , until the patient can return to life using normal hand.
Symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Symptoms that occur in Carpal Tunnel Syndrome occurs slowly . Starting discomfort in the wrist and can be extended up to the palm of the hand and forearm.
Symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome are:
- Tingling or numbness in the sense of the fingers , especially the thumb , index finger , middle finger and ring finger portion especially first thing in the morning.
- Perceived pain spread from the wrist to the arm and shoulder , or from the wrist to the palm of the hand . This phenomenon mainly occurs after repeated conduct that is strong enough .
- Hands feel weak and sometimes strong grasping an object .
- Persistent numbness in the fingers , especially if the condition is severe .
Causes Of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
The disease is caused by compression of the median nerve at . These nerves have a sensory function ( sensory ) and motor ( moving a muscle ) on the thumb , index finger , middle finger and part towards the middle of the ring . Pressure on the nerve can be caused by a variety of things that result in reduced diameter of the carpal canal . The exact cause of this narrowing is unknown . Allegedly some of the factors may be the cause of this problem , including :
- Health factors , such as rheumatoid arthritis , hormonal disorders ( diabetes , thyroid disorders , and menopause ) , the presence of fluid collections that occur during pregnancy , or the presence of abnormal protein accumulation , known as amyloid in the bone marrow .
- The presence of repetitive injury , bend and straighten movement wrist repeatedly, especially if it happens in a long time without rest . For example, people who work as janitors, motorcyclists , or any other type of worker involvement wrist .
- Abnormalities in the wrist , this is the case because there had been disorder on the channel , for example due to herniated discs , resulting in swelling or thickening of the tendon sheath in the carpal canal .
How to diagnose Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
To determine the definitive diagnosis of this disorder , physical examination , and investigation . Tests done for example with an emphasis on the area of the median nerve ( wrist) . Examination electromyography , nerve conduction and to determine the extent of damage that has occurred .
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Treatment
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Treatment:
A. Non – surgical therapy
There are several types of non – surgical therapy that can be done to overcome this problem.
- The use of splint which can be used during the sleep and the reduce the symptoms that occur at night.
- Oral medication
- Steroid injection can be injected and it reduce the pain caused by pressure on the median nerve. And by far this is the most effective carpal tunnel syndrome treatment before proceeding to surgery.
B. Measures Surgery
Non – surgical action will be meaningless if the abnormality is still in the mild category , but if it happens the symptoms are severe , then surgery is the best option . Actions taken by the surgeon is removing the factors that depress the median nerve , for example by cutting the protruding bone .
After surgery the patient is required to rest some time for healing . Maybe it also needs to be done after physiotherapy exercises to restore muscle strength is impaired.Leave a reply