Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) Specialist Singapore
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) occurs when the median nerve which runs from the forearm into the hand becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist. This results in pain, weakness, or numbness in the hand and wrist, radiating up the arm.
Compression of the median nerve due to the transverse carpal ligament.
Symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome occurs in people that are involved repetitive motion at the wrist. For example, a person that use computer frequently or a cashier that use cash register everyday. The symptoms normally starts from the wrist then gradually extend to hand or forearm.
Other symptoms include:
- Numbness in your fingers or hand
It normally occurs while answering phone call or reading newspaper or upon awakening in the morning or even in the middle of the night.
- Weakness in your fingers or hand
- Tend to drop things
|Frequent Computer Users||Numbness of the hand in the middle of the night|
What are the causes of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS)?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is often the result of a combination of factors that increase pressure on the median nerve and tendons in the carpal tunnel, rather than a problem with the nerve itself. Most likely the disorders is due to a congenital predisposition.
Other contributing factors:
- Trauma or injury to the wrist that cause swelling such as sprain or fracture
- Medical conditions such as diabetes, arthritis, pregnancy and/or obesity.
How’s Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Diagnosed?
- History of Symptoms
- Physical Examination
- Nerve Conduction Test
Treatments for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS)
According to our Carpal tunnel syndrome singapore specialist, treatments for carpal tunnel syndrome are:
- Resting the affected hand and wrist for at least 2 weeks, avoiding activities that may worsen symptoms.
- Immobilizing the wrist in a splint to avoid further damage from twisting or bending.
- Use cold packs when inflammation occurs. Applying cold packs can help to reduce swelling.
- Oral anti-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory injection
- Surgery is recommended if symptoms last for more than 6 months. Surgery involves severing the band of tissue around the wrist to reduce pressure of the median nerve.
Surgical incision over the carpal area
Is the above information suggestive that you’ve carpal tunnel syndrome? Don’t let the signs and symptoms interfere your normal activities and sleep patterns. Get yourself a proper care and treatment by calling us NOW for an appointment at our 24HR Hotline (+65) 6476 2106 or SMS to (+65) 8499 8384 or email us at email@example.com