Achilles Tendon Rupture Treatment
What is Achilles Tendon Rupture?
According to our orthopaedic surgeon Singapore, An Achilles tendon rupture is a serious injury, usually associated with athletes who play professional or amateur sports. Achilles tendon is one of the longest tendons in the entire body. It runs from the back of heel up to calf muscles and helps control foot and ankle. It’s a thick band of tissues that unmistakable, which makes injury to it extremely obvious, especially in the case of a full rupture.
Rupture usually occurs in the section of the tendon located within 2.5 inches (6 centimeters) of the point where it attaches to the heel bone. This section may be predisposed to rupture because it gets less blood flow, which may impair its ability to heal.
A rupture can be a partial (incomplete) or a complete tear.
What are the symptoms of Achilles Tendon Rupture
– Feel like being hit in the Achilles area
– “pop” sound
– Pain, possibly severe, and swelling near your heel
– Unable to lift up onto his or her toes while weight bearing
– Develop bruising
What are the causes of Achilles Tendon Rupture?
– Leg is straight and calf muscle is contracted during activities such as running, jumping or playing sport such as football or tennis.
– Achilles tendinopathy – A very small risk of Achilles Tendon Rupture
– Achilles tendinopathy is pain, thickening and stiffness in your Achilles tendon both during exercise and often following exercise.
How is Achilles Tendon Ruptured diagnosed?
Physical Examination: Tenderness and swelling and lower leg , a gap in your tendon if a complete rupture has occurred.
MRI: to confirm the diagnosis, to evaluate for the severity of the tear within the tendon.
Achilles Tendon Rupture Treatment Singapore
In Singapore Sports Clinic, Our orthopaedic surgeon will suggest temporary treatment include icing the area by applying ice to the area of inflammation to help stimulate blood flow to the area, and relieve the pain associated with inflammation. However surgery is needed to repair the ruptured tendon.
How to prevent Achilles Tendon Rupture?
Stretch the Achilles tendon before exercise, even at the start of the day helps to maintain flexibility in the ankle joint. Problems with foot mechanics can also be treated with devices inserted into the shoes such as heel cups, arch supports, and custom orthotics.
- Rupture Achilles Tendon: Signs and Symptoms
- Achilles Tendinitis Treatments and Preventions
- Achilles Tendinitis: Achilles Tendon Injury