What is shockwave Therapy?
Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy or ESWT is a non invasive and non operative therapy by using shock wave transmission or high pressure shock wave emitted from outside the body to overcome the pain or inflammation around the joints. The feeling of pain can be due to the presence of calcification around the joint or inflammation of the binding tissue between muscle and bone (tendonitis).
How does Shockwave therapy Singapore works?
The therapy equipment generates high-energy shockwaves, which are transmitted to the body through a plastic membrane. The shockwave first pass through the skin and the layers of tissue underneath. They only become effective in the area at which doctor has set the penetration depth.
The desired effects are:
- Dispersing of calcium deposits
- Stimulation of the healing mechanisms of the body (e.g. in the case of tennis elbow)
- Stimulation of bone growth (case of pseudarthrosis)
Is the shockwave therapy painful?
Normally, shockwave therapy is carried out as an outpatient basis. Prior the shockwave therapy treatment, our doctors will give local anaesthetic to the patient.
How many times of shockwave therapy is needed?
- The treatment is completed as a single session or in a course of several sessions for severe cases.
- Depending on illness involved, Dr Kevin Yip will decide the number and strength of the shockwave to be administered.
- The duration of the treatment at each session is 10 to 20 minutes.
Results of Shockwave Therapy
Shockwave therapy is indeed a new therapeutic solution, method and technology for dealing with pain syndromes that combine accuracy, speed, safety and effectiveness with very low complication rates. Implementation of ESWT is particularly useful in tackling cases of chronic pain, in which the previous body tissue can not or is unable to perform the healing process. ESWT is able to start the healing process in a chronic injury state and restore the healing process into the acute phase. Until recently, ESWT application to overcome the discomfort in pain, especially for cases of chronic pain has been widely used with the success rate of 70% in each case.
Call us for an appointment for shockwave therapy singapore now at (65) 6476 2106