Treatment for Headache
Headache treatment performed should be seen from the symptoms experienced and based on the cause, because not all types of headaches can be overcome by taking headache medicine alone.
Initially, the doctor will ask for the patient’s medical history, followed by a physical test and if the cause is not detected, further tests may be performed. Some further tests that can be done are urine test, blood test, eye test, X-ray sinus, CT scan, and MRI scan. In addition, an examination with an electroencephalogram (EEG) may be recommended by a doctor if the headache you are experiencing is accompanied by other symptoms such as seizures. In severe cases, the doctor may perform a spinal test by taking fluid samples from the spinal canal to check for the possibility of certain infections.
Headache Tension Treatment
In general, over-the-counter medicines, such as ibuprofen, paracetamol, and aspirin can overcome a tense headache for a moment.
In addition, some alternative therapies can also be done to reduce stress, among them are as follows:
- Cognitive behavioural therapy is a therapy in which patients are taught to manage stress that can trigger tension headaches.
- Warm water therapy.
- Relaxation exercises.
Broadly speaking, migraine treatment is divided into two, namely treatment to relieve symptoms (abortive) and preventive treatment
- Abortive treatment. To relieve migraine symptoms, you can consume several types of drugs that can be purchased without a prescription.
- Preventive treatment. Not all migraine sufferers require preventative treatment. You may be advised to take preventive medications if you have an attack at least four times a month, an attack lasting 12 hours or more, if pain killer medicines do not help relieve symptoms, or if migraines cause paralysis or numbness. Treatment to prevent this attack include beta-blockers, antidepressants, anticonvulsants, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Migraine headaches require special handling, unlike other types of headaches. More detailed explanations you can read on migraine treatment. Always consult your doctor to get the most appropriate migraine treatment according to your condition.
Cluster Headache Treatment
Over-the-counter painkillers are not effective at treating cluster headaches. This type of headache appears suddenly and may subside rapidly. There are several steps that can help overcome the cluster headache, namely:
- Using a triptan nasal spray prescribed by a doctor
- This medicine is sprayed into the nose.
- Taking preventative medicine. Inhale 100 percent oxygen using a mask.
- Uses injecting drugs to relieve them rapidly when attacks strike.