Tailbone pain treatment depends on the severity of tailbone pain. Pain in the coccyx can occur due to injury or causes that are not known with certainty. Given the importance of the role of the coccyx in the movement of the body, this pain will certainly interfere with daily activities.
Pain in the coccyx or also called coccydynia or coccygodynia can be caused by many things from mild to severe, such as sitting too long on a hard surface, labour, degenerative joint changes, trauma from falling on the coccyx (falling down), excess body weight or less, to the wrong posture. In certain cases, pain in the coccyx can also be caused by arthritis, bone growth in the coccyx, pilonidal cysts, or even cancer and infection. Trauma or injury can cause the tailbone to become bruised, shifted, or cracked.
Home remedy for tailbone pain
There are several things that can be done to relieve pain in the tailbone:
- Take painkillers.
- Sit on a donut-shaped pillow or a V-shape. You can also sit while leaning forward to help relieve pain while sitting.
- You can try a cold or warm compress to relieve pain in the coccyx, or you can massage it.
- Enough rest. Limit activity by reducing the habit of lifting heavy weights, bending, and light exercise.
Tailbone pain diagnosis
Diagnostic tests are usually not needed for coccyx pain. In some cases of severe, unrelenting pain, a diagnostic test may be used to determine how pain is being caused and how it can best be alleviated. Diagnostic tests for coccydynia may include: Dynamic X-ray imaging tests.
To find out more about this condition, your doctor can apply an anal exam to find the cause of pain or use magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to detect possible degenerative changes, cracks, or tumours.
Tailbone Pain Treatment
Meanwhile, treatment for pain in the chronic coccyx can be carried out in the following ways.
- Medications such as local anesthetic or corticosteoid injections in the coccyx and antidepressants to relieve pain in the coccyx.
- Manipulation or physiotherapy by massaging the muscles in the coccyx. Coccygeal manipulation can be performed by a doctor by inserting a hand wrapped in a glove back and forth through the anus or rectum to correct the position of the coccyx.
- Physiotherapy with relaxation of the pelvic floor.
- Coccygectomy surgery is the removal of the coccyx which is only done if other treatments prove to be ineffective. However, operations that carry this risk are not necessarily successful.
Leave a reply
Pain in the coccyx that can be accompanied by pain spreads to the buttocks, hips and legs and can disappear on its own in a matter of days, but it can also not go away for months. This persistent pain can be identified as chronic coccydynia. Therefore, immediately consult a doctor if the pain gets worse and or does not go away. Call 64762106 or SMS 84998384 to get your tailbone checked!