Causes of Sciatica
SCIATICA is pain that radiates from the lower back down to the thighs, calves, ankles and feet either on one side or both sides of the foot. The pain can be “blunt” as cramps or “sharp” tingling and burning, continuous or intermittent but becoming more and more severe pain. The pain may increase when you sit, cough, sneeze or laugh. Instead, walk, lie down, and stretch your spine movements (such as the shrug) may reduce pain.
Causes of Sciatica Singapore
Causes of sciatica Singapore which Sciatica is caused by irritation or inflammation of the sciatic nerve, the largest and longest nerve in the body that extends from the lower back through the back of the hip joint and branching to both thighs, calves, ankles and feet. This act sends nerve signals from the brain to the muscles and convey sensory information from the legs to the brain. With the inflammation, this function will be disrupted.
Sciatic nerve inflammation can be caused by various conditions, including:
- Shifting disc herniation or spinal cord that out occupy the space occupied by the nerve and pressed.
- Piriformis syndrome, occurs when the piriformis muscle (a small muscle located deep in the ass) become stiff or tense, so squeeze and irritate the sciatic nerve.
- Lumbar spinal stenosis, occurs due to narrowing of the spinal canal in the lower back region of sciatic nerve pressure.
- Spondylolisthesis, occurs because of a shift of one segment of the spine that is no longer aligned with the top and narrow at the exit hole nerves.
Who is Affected by Sciatica?
Everyone can be affected by sciatica. However, this following group of people will be more vulnerable and likely to get affected by sciatica. There are as follow:
- Elderly: because their spine and body in general have experienced the ease of degeneration of the conditions above.
- Age group 30 to 50 years: most commonly affected because they are more active than older age groups.
- People who are overweight and less fit, people often sit for long periods, walkers, runners, weight lifters, and
- Pregnant woman: Sciatica usually occurs in pregnant women in the final trimester of pregnancy when the enlarging uterus presses the sciatic nerve. The pain usually disappears after delivery.
NOTE: Do you know that sciatica may potentially cause permanent nerve damage? Get an expert to examine you thoroughly by calling us NOW at (+65) 6476 2106 for an appointment or Schedule an Appointment here on our website. Our professional Senior orthopaedic specialist has more than 20 years experience. Be assured that you will be receiving professional treatments that suit your needs.
- Sciatica: Pain or Numbness Radiating To Legs
- What You Need To Know About Sciatica
- Beware of Back Pain due to Slipped Disc
- Prolapsed Intervertebral Disc (Hernia Disc)
- Simple Way to Overcome Lower Back Pain
- Relationship between Obesity and Back Pain
- Frequently Asked Question: Back Problem
- Epidural Injections for Back Pain
- Sciatica And Back Pain